Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Red Tape in Democracy

Even if you were a victim of Tropical Storm Sandy, you most likely know the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results proved that no one messes with Big Bird.  Check out these memes, if you don't know what I'm referencing.

I'm not going to discuss here how Proposition 49 was added to the Illinois Constitution, or how 3 states (Maine, Maryland, and Washington) welcomed Same-Sex Marriage.

I am going to detail my voting experience for both the 2008 election and 2012 election. 

2008 was my first year able to vote, and I was over 3 hours away at college.  While I supported missing classes, I'm ultimately glad I didn't.  I begrudgenly received my absentee ballot, excitedly filled it out (while double-checking I filled it out correctly), and nervously hoping the USPS wouldn't lose or somehow make my ballot ineligible. Then, I'll never forget as the official call was made, the school's quad was flooded with celebratory students cheering and hugging. There were balloons soon followed by other college debauchery.

2012 was the year I moved out of my parents' home and into an apartment with the boy and our Westie.  I updated my online my address, but didn't need to get a new driver's license since it was in the IL database.  Flash forward to Nov. 6-- I was super excited to receive my voter confirmation registration card in the mail, bring it to my polling site, (which turned out to be a Log Cabin--pat on the back Village of Lombard for that touch of nostalgia.) vote on an official ballot and receive my 'I Voted Today" sticker.  In reality, what happened was I arrived, provided the confirmation registration, proof of my address on a utility bill, and 2 forms of ID then hit a line of red tape.

The lady who made sure I wasn't an impersonator then proceeded to tell me "You have to vote in the city your address lists." 

I countered "No, I updated my address when I moved back in April through the IL database, and gave you proof of my current address and the voting confirmation card that tells me to vote here."

"Well sweetie, that's wrong."

"No it's not.  I get to vote here."

"Let me go check with someone else..."

5 hours minutes later...

"That's fine, but you really shouldn't be voting here."

While angry that receiving my ballot took more time than actually filling it out, (because no I don't want to vote electronically, I want authenticity! We're in a log cabin!) when I did finally submit that ballot to the feeder, hear the confirming beep, and give the doorman a high five all of my negativity towards the voting hold-up was erased.

Victory Democracy was mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment