Monday, October 15, 2012

Repackaging Curriculum and Instruction in America

We need educational reform in America’s educational system, but since this is such a large issue with many variables, we need to start small scale and then widen our scope.  Examining other countries and their secondary education institutions captures a comparative, critical approach of how we (America’s public education system) can adapt educational setup and policies and integrate them into our instructional approaches to engage all students.  We, as teachers, parents, and educators can promote interest in a variety of learning and teaching methods while still meeting the ever-daunting role of continuous assessment data.

I'm actually writing my paper on educational reform with the working title being "Repackaging Curriculum and Instruction in America."  To diminish any bias you may think I hold, let's expose my background regarding education:  I've attended latch-key, year-round schooling on a military base my father was stationed at on the West Coast, I graduated from a public high school, and attended undergraduate and graduate schools at both highly selective, priviatized institutions as well as a state university, leading up to now, me teaching English and Spanish (a core curriculum subject and a fine arts subject) in the same district that I graduated from.  I have siblings who attended Montessori schools, receive tutoring as well as private ACT prep, and are now at my alma mater high school, but despite all of these mixed types of schools, classes, and regions, I cringe at the thought of my future children attending a public high school in America.


I feel one of our main problems is how to deliver instruction to students because it is so complex.  To establish special classes, mentors, accelerated curriculum, enrichment models, special topics, and summer camps to be successful in creating an effective classroom in which all students, regardless of barriers, can succeed is difficult, but it can be done.

I recognize that barriers such as learning levels, styles, socioeconomic status, funding and accountability will make it difficult to do so, but to better education requires a change in society’s perceptions for identifying and educating those who we feel have talent, we need to take time to develop opportunities and programs for everyone and realizing that “giftedness” can exist among the disadvantaged groups as well. 

I know America has the ability to do better, and frankly, we deserve a better education than what our country's current level and quality provides. I've seen, studied, and have been to other countries' school systems and feel that America's current education system is just at the tip of the iceberg regarding educational reform.

I know the next counter is going to be "everyone defines the problem but fails to provide an adequate solution."   I am well aware of the facors including cost, socioeconomic status, state and federal goals and mandates, etc. One aspect of Bad Teacher that I did like was that the author points out you can't make a change with the whole world at once.  Using world hunger as an example: it's impossible and impractical to start a campaign titled "Eliminate World Hunger," but we (society) do have the ability to implement small scale changes--i.e. donating to your local food bank, organizing small food drives, etc.  Small steps mean not being able to get somewhere as quickly, but you're still moving in the right direction, creating progress, and you'll get there eventually.




No comments:

Post a Comment